Thursday, June 10, 2010

One Week

Almost a week before I leave my home for a five month excursion in Buenos Aires, Argentina! Between the excitement and countdown I am anticipating the fun challenge of studying abroad. Although I have been doing research on Argentinian culture, politics and traditions, I know that I will be emerged in a society much more rich than any resource can explain. I look forward to the differences between my normal routine at Merrimack College and the new routine I will have at Universidad de Belgrano. I have been trying to prepare myself for the language barrier with spanish CDs and books but, I also realize the most significant experience of studying in a foreign country is communicating with the locals by means of pantomiming and charades! I have heard that Rosetta Stone can familiarize you with the language, but the immersion in the spanish language will help the most. The familiar or slang terms in Spanish will be interesting to pick up, as well as teaching my host family some English terms. Packing for a trip like this is also a difficult task as well because although I have travelled before, I have never been away from home for five months before! I made sure to pack light, but have packed according to the geographic locale of Argentina. The seasons and weather will be much different than home, as July in Argentina is winter! Albeit, the Argentinian winter is typically 50- 60 degrees fahrenheit. I know there will be many differences in South America but I look forward to challenging myself and uncovering the beauty behind this magnificent experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment