Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Actual Studying of Study Abroad

After my first successful week of classes I am ready to begin this semester! At Merrimack College I study Communications and Elementary Education, here at the Universidad de Belgrano, I am taking five classes ranging from Argentina Literature to Arte Contemporaneo. The wide range of courses keeps learning interesting and I have the opportunity to receive class credit as well as learn more about this amazing country and it’s history!

It was a long process relaying messages between Belgrano and Merrimack to approve courses and get the right credits I would need to fulfill this semester, but after a few changes I finally have my permanent class schedule.

I take classes from Monday to Thursday, my earliest class starting at 1pm. I usually end classes at Belgrano around 6pm everyday. Before classes I have breakfast and lunch at home and read up on the day’s agenda for my classes. I have three courses on Monday and Wednesday and two on Tuesday and Thursday which gives me time to break up my homework and work on projects.

The books for the courses are much different from books at Merrimack or any other American university. In place of text books we use bound photocopied packets. This is helpful because we are able to share the copies and highlight without worrying about reselling our books at the end of the semester.

Also, at Belgrano we use a card attendance system. All the students have Belgrano identification cards that we use swipe into the doors of our classrooms which verifies our attendance for the day. We swipe before 1pm and after 1pm in a ten minute span, which makes having a class right at 1 o’clock difficult. Classes start later than scheduled, usually 10-15 minutes behind schedule so that cards can be swiped and changing of classes is not too hectic in the halls.

In class, the rooms are divided by rows of long wooden tables and swivel chairs nailed to the floor. All the classrooms use chalkboards although some professors use projectors for powerpoint presentations. The classes run for an hour and a half and immediately follow one another with only ten minutes to spare. It is a good thing all of our classes are only on two floors of the building.

In class, the students are composed of mainly American students. Many of the students are from the West coast, predominantly California. There are also few students from Europe and Canada. There are only a few programs, including API, which make up the mix of international students at Belgrano. Some very small and intimate like API, where others boast 70-80 students in their program. However, between classes students from all programs mix and mingle like a busy high school hallway.

I take three classes in English; History of Latin America, Argentina through Literature as well as Borges Culture and Knowledge. The remaining two classes I take in Spanish; Espanol Intermedio and Arte Argentino Contemporaneo. The professors are native to Buenos Aires, and enjoy helping the American students learn more about their history and culture. I find that the portenos are very proud of their home and truly enjoy sharing with us their heritage, inside and outside of the classroom.

After school, I grab an empanada or sandwich on my way home. I take the subte to school which gives me about a 30 minute commute both ways. At home, me and the kids do our homework together before dinner. Typically the homework is reading from the packets. I had a small homework assignment for Arte, which had me exploring a local museum and writing of the history of art through it’s many periods. We give small presentations in class on the material read, which is helpful for learning Spanish; being able to talk and present a project in Spanish.

I am enjoying all of my days in Buenos Aires, especially school days. Learning about this new culture and it’s rich history by means of academics is a great way to spend my day, and fulfill a semester!

1 comment: