Sunday, August 29, 2010

A Traditional Country

In a city so rich with culture and history, of course comes many traditions from the people. After living here for two months I have picked up on a few of the traditions and norms that the locals follow. It has been a fascinating process of seeing the different customs and then becoming used to them as second nature. For instance, greetings are always accompanied by a kiss on the cheek. Men and women alike. In place of handshakes and hugs, the portenos give besos!
At home, we celebrate girls’ sweet 16 birthdays. Here in South America they celebrate the “Quinceanos”, or 15th birthday. It does not seem like such a difference, but after listening to the stories of the traditional Quinceanos fiestas, they are very different. My younger host sister, Macarena, has described to me the lavish blue gowns the girls wear and the mile high cakes for the birthday celebration. The party is usually at a club, and the more people the better! The quinceanos traditionally recognizes many birthday girls at the party instead of one birthday girl at one party like we do at home.
I have also had to adjust to the sleeping and eating patterns of Buenos Aires. On weekdays Argentines have a light breakfast, and when they come home from work around 5pm they have a late lunch and take a “seista” or nap. At 9pm, when they wake again, they have dinner. After dinner, they leave to meet friends at the cafes and bars for coffee and drinks. On weekends, they leave the bar around 1am or 2am and go to the boliches or dance clubs, generally not getting home until 6 in the morning. This typical week sounds exhausting, but a nice seista in the middle of the day breaks it up nicely.
The pace of the country is very slow, in comparison to the United States. Although it is a big city, the people are in no rush, apart from the taxis who swerve in between cars. A typical meal at a restaurant takes anywhere from 2 to 3 hours until you are able to call the waiter for the check. At school, the classes all start 10 minutes later than scheduled. It is relaxing to not be rushed, but frustrating at times when you are in a hurry.
We also have traditions in my house as well. Every Sunday afternoon for instance my family has raviolis for lunch. It has become a family gathering where we talk about our weekend and plans for the upcoming week. Also, we have gnocchis on the last day of each month. Gnocchis are delicious rolled up pastas which are very popular here in Buenos Aires.
The few little traditions I have picked out are amongst a whole culture of traditions and norms that I continue to explore and learn. Buenos Aires is rich with life and influence from Spain and Italy and North America as well. I can see similarities but I love learning all about the differences.

4 comments:

  1. A day in the life... nice to hear a little bit of the behind the scene stuff so to speak. Loving these blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your blog and thought it was fascinating and well written. I am very proud of your ability to communicate so well! You must have got that from me. Love ya, Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I have my own Google account to follow your blogs - I look forward to read about your experiences in Argentina. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading! It means a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete